Friday, August 12, 2016

Don't Look Back, You're Not Going That Way


My children are older than they have ever been…and now they are even older…

It’s hard for me to watch home videos of when the children are young.  I find myself slipping into a depression of sorts,  longing to relive some of those moments.  I find myself sad, that I didn’t relish those times more.  I think of all the cute things that they would say and do…

I remember the spills…oh how I hate spills…ugh! I hate my feet sticking to the floor from spilled kool-aid, spilled sugar…spilled milk…when milk is spilled and not cleaned up…it begins to stink…they say there is no use crying over spilled milk…whoever they is…are wrong…

I remember things that they would break…lots of breaking…vacuums, drawers, doors, tables, dolls, floors…how do you break floors?...think fillet knife and linoleum, (I know…what kind of father leaves a fillet knife where a 2 year old boy can reach it…apparently this one). 

My depression has just turned from depression to dread…

It is easy to be consumed with our past.  I don’t know if you realize this, but I am not as young as I used to be.  In fact I am older than I’ve ever been and now I’m even older…

The older I get the better I was…

I occasionally try to prove…either to myself, or others…or both…that I’ve still “got it”

I went waterskiing last weekend…yep…I’ve still got it…I also got sore muscles that I don’t think existed when I was 20 years old.

In Philippians 3:12-21, Paul talks about, forgetting what is behind…leaving the past in the past…and pressing on toward the prize that is set before us…

Sometimes our past can consume us…whether it be good, or bad…longing to relive…or wishing we could forget…

But in either case, we are called to look forward…to the future…to eternity…to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment