Saturday, August 22, 2026

 Betrayed

Our 14 year old Pomeranian is officially toothless, having lost his final canine earlier this week.  Despite what you may think, we have not converted to feeding him soft foods…unless you count his lapping up of his own vomit…that too happened this past week. 

He, (Coda), and I have been through a great deal together.  This small 10 pound pup and I have never seen eye to eye…even when I pick him up and attempt to stare directly into his face, he will always divert his eyes from me. 

It is obvious that he holds something against me…and after this week’s vomit…I have all the more reason to hold things again him. 

I have literally saved this dog’s life twice.  On two separate occasions he was attacked by a fellow pooch 12 times larger or more than he.  On both occasions I snatched the inferior pup out of harm,s way, placing myself between he and his attacker.  On one of the occasions, I was mauled by the large beast of a dog until his mortified owner hauled him away, apologetically in tears. 

Despite my self-sacrifice, this ungrateful mutt has betrayed me with affections toward all others but myself.  When my dad comes over for a visit, Coda will happily jump on his lap and bask in the kind petting of my dad.  Coda will gladly submit under the touch of my children and my wife.  But he will have nothing to do with me.  I dare to suggest, if anyone of you reading this were to come over to our house, you will indeed be greeted more warmly by this black and white toothless hound than would I.

I feel betrayed.  I have bought him food, bathed him, walked him, saved him and he has betrayed me with affection only toward others. 

I know that he is only a dog and his betrayal is insignificant, yet it paints a lighthearted picture of a much more severe event found in Matthew 26:47-56.  Here Jesus is about to give everything…literally…to all who will receive it, including Judas, and yet Judas will turn his back on Jesus and betray him.

Yet, Jesus’ response in the moment of his betrayal is what stands out the strongest to me.  While it appears that Jesus is losing, he is about to enter into the greatest victory story the world has ever known.

Even in Judas’ betrayal, we see the love of Jesus being expressed. What amazing grace, amazing love and what an amazing God we serve.

May we come to see that Jesus offers a grace that no one else can or has ever offered.  He along can save us.

No comments:

Post a Comment