Saturday, January 21, 2017


Nothing to Do...


Christmas is not yet 4 weeks removed and one of my lovely children stated to me, “There is nothing to do”…Really?...”I’ll bet I could find something for you to do!” There just happens to be laundry that needs to be folded, dishes that need to be washed, toilets that need to be scrubbed, rooms that need to be cleaned, garbage that needs to be taken out, closets that need to be cleaned…sometimes I wonder if the list ever has a bottom line.  In all truth, probably not, because once the top item on the list is finished it flips right back to the bottom of the list.  I usually find myself sitting and stating things like, “I shouldn’t be sitting here…I should really be fixing the sink drain or repairing the cabinet door.  There is always something to do.   There is so much to do…my children, who have nothing to do, have suddenly found something to do.
We use the word “nothing” frequently.  “What are you thinking?...”Nothing…”  As much as it may feel that we are thinking nothing…I find that to be quite literally impossible.  We are always thinking something.  Even when we sleep, it seems that our brains are working.  Take dreams for example, just last week, I had a dream that I was preaching to a full house at the local Little Falls High School gymnasium…and before I was done, everyone had left and walked out except for my friend, Sam.  Thanks Sam, for not leaving…but I cannot deny, I am sure curious where everyone else went.

Our minds are always working…except perhaps with teenagers…sometimes their minds seem to stop working…it’s probably linked to hormones…I wonder if they make a “thinking” drug yet?  They probably do, but it likely would include some side effects like tidiness, politeness, overall pleasant behavior, respect…and if that happened people would know we were drugging our children.

It’s hard to fathom, but when we look at creation…everything around us had to come from somewhere…it had to have been made.  It must have come from something…or someone.   We find in both Genesis 1 and John 1 a moment at which all things were created.  In fact, in the passage in John 1:3, it states that “…through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.”  This passage is specifically referring to Jesus.  Jesus was not only “there” when something…came from nothing…but he made it so.  John, in his Gospel, states the strong truthful message…that Jesus Christ…IS GOD, and whether we want to acknowledge this or not…we all need to do something about it.  Do we accept it? Do we reject it? Do we follow Him? Or do we turn our back on him? At this point…you have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment