Saturday, January 23, 2021

 A Gift Card



I had a dream last night.  I had gone into a sporting goods store…I was only one of about 4 customers in the store, plus the associate.  Hung on the walls of the establishment, were three pictures.  Each picture was like a 2 dimensional sculpture.  As I looked at the pictures, they seemed to be in a constant state of change.  Not “altering”…just adjusting.  All of the other people were closely examining the pieces.  I asked the associate…”What’s the deal with the pictures?”

“If you can correctly guess the image of each of the three pictures…you will win a gift card to the store.”

As I watched everyone get closer and closer to the pictures...looking at the details for a clue to the identity of each image…I stepped back.

I shifted my head from side to side, and I backed away from the first picture.  The image became clear…it was Kirby Pucket…former Minnesota Twins’ star outfielder.

“The first one is Kirby Pucket.” I secretly whispered to the clerk.

“That is correct…and the second?”

I followed the same procedure for the second picture…

“Hmmm…is it Frank Viola???...NO!...Wait!...It’s Billy Martin?. (also both Minnesota Twins’ greats).

“That is correct…and the third one?”

Sweet! Two down and one to go!

“Yes I know this one!...It is none other than…”

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Stupid alarm clock!...now I’ll never received my gift card!!!

It is possible that my dream was sparked by my love for the Minnesota Twins…or my fondness for sporting goods stores…or possibly my affinity for gift cards…yet it is probable that my dream may have been inspired by my recent studies in the New Testament book of Revelation.  This incredible book, as a whole, is filled with challenging details, symbolism, prophecies and promises.  These key little pieces are wonderful and they actually point us toward a much larger picture.  If we are not careful, we can become enamored with the details and miss the beauty of the larger picture. Revelation can be confusing at times…but I think that if we can step back and look at Revelation as a whole…certainly taking some time in some of the details…but keep the big picture in sight, we will see and be deeply blessed by these promises of God.  Promises that show that Jesus IS King…that God IS going to do what he said he is going to do!...that God is full for grace and mercy AND justice.  When we step back and look at the larger image…we will see that pain will end…Heaven and Earth will be rebuilt…and eternal Love will rule.

This week…we begin with the intro…Revelation 1:1-8…and how God is uncovering this amazing picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment