Saturday, September 19, 2026

 Indecision

“Isaac, would you like your pizza cut into triangles or square?”

“Squares.”

“Ok”

“Wwwaaaa! I didn’t want squares! I wanted triangles!”

Indecision is the bane of many families.  It is the single handed cause of strife between, parents and children, children and parents, husbands and wives and wives and husbands.

“Ryan, what do you want for supper?”

“I don’t care, make whatever you want!”

“I can’t live with an answer like that! I don’t want to decide!”

“Well…I don’t care”

“Fine…we are having sauerkraut salad!”

“How about spaghetti?”

The inability to make decisions is a bit of a revolving door in our home.  Whether it is truly our lack of concern for the decisions that are needing to be made or the fear of making the wrong decision, we experience more conflict over non-decisions than we do about wrong decisions.

There was one occasion where a certain member in our home drove 4 hours to buy floor tile for our bathroom remodel project only to be met with, “I don’t know…hmmm…I just don’t know if I like the color.”

Those tiles were returned.

When we installed new carpet it our basement, it took 6 months to select the color.  Once installed the first words echoed in the basement were, “I don’t know if I like it…”  Those words were quickly countered with, “You like it!”

I believe that the overwhelming cause of indecision is the fear of making the wrong decision. 

This is where we find a Roman governor named Pontius Pilate in Matthew 27:11-26.    When Pilate is faced with the decision of what to do with Jesus he is torn.  It appears that he knows that there is no reason to follow through with convicting Jesus to death.  Pilate sees no guilt in him and yet we find him at a loss as with what to do with Jesus. In the end, Pilate’s indecision, leads to the decision of handing him over to be crucified, this in truth is a decision in of itself.

This leads to the question that we all must face.  What decision will we make? What will we do with Jesus? Will we say yes to him? Will we follow him?

May we come to make the decision about what we will do with Jesus in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment